They Last Forever! The technology of composite deck/balcony boards has been around for nearly 30 years.
They are beautiful and outlast traditional Redwood by far and never need painted. They do have a tenancy to warp if not supported properly with the correct Joist interval but with the proper installation, they will stay strait and beautiful.
The Support Joists underneath the deck boards are the real concern!
The Joists are what really determine whether your Deck/Balcony will last. Rain water runs between the cracks of the deck boards and onto the joists causing prolonged wetness and eventually permeates the top of the Joist. Prolonged and reoccurring wetness is what causes Dry Rot followed by Termites.
Protecting the tops of the Joists by installing metal coping will keep the Joists Dry and free from Rot and Termites indefinitely.
This is a good visual of how it starts. Many people elect to replace deck boards only, while ignoring the Joists. Luckily we were able to rebuild this deck before it was too late.
Wrought Iron Railings:
• A very good choice aesthetically.
• The best choice with regard to longevity.
Wood Railings Railings:
• Also A very good choice aesthetically depending the style your going for..
• With regard to longevity. They can be problematic and be subject to Dry-Rot and Termites if they are constructed using industry standard Deck and Balcony techniques.
• Using our techniques, a wood railing will last 20ish years or so as long as you keep the top rail painted. If you neglect the top rail it can easily be replaced easily without replacing other components of the Deck/Balcony.